The Reaping

Posted on

Being a child chosen in district one as a tribute for the Hunger Games is an honor. Every kid is trained from the time we are born, till we are not eligible anymore. Every year I have the same routine for the reaping. I wake up, eat my breakfast, put on my prettiest dress, just in case I am picked, then I put on the new makeup I bought from the previous week and I march out of the house with my family. Since this year is the 80th anniversary for the Hunger Games, I look extra beautiful than usual.

As I walked out to the place where the reaping was taking place, every step of mine sounded like a quiet mouse. The stadium of chatter like it used to be at past reapings fell under a silent spell. Maybe it was the nerves of the parents that made everyone so scared or the fact that it was going to be a different and harder hunger games because of the anniversary. Whatever it was, made me sweat off my new sparkly, purple makeup which I am still unhappy about. As I frowned with a deep sorrow, Harper Hayes, the lady with the poufy hair who announces the tributes every year, started talking into the microphone. Her voice sounded like a death call for all of us children, which is very unusual. I was anxious just like everyone else in the stadium. Oh how I wished to not be called from that horrid and ugly container with thousands of victim’s names drowning inside.

As she read the boy’s name my heart seemed to skip a beat because it was my friend Roger. Harper’s hand reached inside the container, pulled it out and read aloud “Tammy Cottonhead.” I walked ever so slowly to the podium n I shook so hard that my teeth began to chatter. “This is going to be the experience of a lifetime,” Harper told me as I shed a tear.

3 thoughts on “The Reaping

1. Comments Lizzy’s blog
    It was obvious that you did not proofread your blog. There were a few grammatical errors that could be solved by reading it out loud. That’s what I do. I go to the mirror and watch myself reading. Sentences like “Since this year is the 80th anniversary for the Hunger Games, I look extra beautiful than usual.” That line could have easily been corrected through proofreading. You also contraindicated yourself by first stating that “Being a child chosen in district one as a tribute for the Hunger Games is an honor.” Yet at the end you made it sound like a terrible occurrence “This is going to be the experience of a lifetime,” Harper told me as I shed a tear. 6.5/10

2. Very easy for the reader to follow, the words flow smoothly. A great insight into the character’s mind. There could have been more sensory details on the environment and more interactions. Could have been more buildup/background to the event but otherwise a good piece of work.

3. I like how you added how it was an honor to be in the hunger games when your from district one. it made this piece different from the other two that I read. However, I wish you would have been more specific about “the place where the reaping was taking place”.